Thursday, May 13, 2010

Checked the hive for the first time today





I woke up excited this morning — it was time to open the hive for the first time and see if my bees are healthy and making progress. And they are!

When I removed the cover, there were bees all around the opening of the inner cover, a good sign. Taking off the inner cover, I looked down into the super and saw that the bees had made some comb in an area where it really shouldn't be, so I removed it. Note in the photo, there are a few yellow cells, showing that the bees are already collecting pollen. You can also see the empty queen's cage in the second photo. I didn't see her among the crowd, but I can tell she's in there and everyone seems busy and happy.

The next time I open the hive (in a few more days), I hope to see signs of brood comb on every frame, which means it's time to add another super.

I've finally figured out how to tie down my veil properly (Drea, you'd laugh at my struggles) and I need to wear a sweat band. Enough said.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog. This is a great idea - keep up the good work and have fun with your new hobby. There's been a lot of buzz around Roswell about your new project. Just be careful who you buy supplies from -- you might get stung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and look forward to following all the "bee adventures." Dick Funderburke

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to follow your adventure. thanks for doing this, now I can keep up with you even while I'm so far away. Janis

    ReplyDelete